Thursday, April 21, 2016

30 weeks! End stretch!

30 weeks along has kind of hit me smack in the face as being for-real-almost-baby-time. I think I've spent the previous 3 quarters of this pregnancy making things normal - normal for the kids, keeping up normal activity, etc - that all of a sudden, I don't think I've mentally prepared myself for this game-changer, JuneBug. I do still have 10 weeks (ish), which is kind of a lot of time, but I think I want to stop making everything feel normal and start upping the idea of change around here.
For starters, Paul attended a sibling class offered by our hospital, in which he got to put a real diaper on his baby doll, learn about holding babies, what babies do, and had a snack ;). Next, I have been cooking several meals for our upcoming Braud Beach Vacay (which we freeze so no one has to cook on the beach and we get food that's not just sandwiches...), and I've put a Knoll-sized portion in the freezer each time as well; in addition to these, I've stored away a total of 8 post-baby freezer meals. Then, we've started doing things around the house. A little. There are some general space-saving things we've had on the to-do list a while, now, and apparently it took an almost Anna Karenina-like nervous breakdown to just get to 'em. In any case, the last 6 days or so have cleared my head by way of Baby Arrival. Next up is the mental game of the actual birth and early postpartum coping. Woo!

In addition to those house-y things, Dylan and the kids planted some herbs over the weekend and found some worms, of course. Paul dug right in, but Ada was hesitant to grab one! What the weird? That's not a learned behavior! If anything, she jumps right in and does whatever he does, so what is there inherently in girls, perhaps, that made her not want to pick up a worm? Bizarre. Here's big brother Paul showing how it's done + photographic proof of Ada's hesitation.

We also attended our 2nd annual LPO Swing in the Oaks in City Park. I remember loving this event last year, and now that we've been members this year, our experience was made even more enjoyable with food and drinks in a fenced off area. It was lovely; we had gorgeous weather, beautiful music, obviously, and it's so special getting to show orchestral stuff to Paul & Ada - they really are into it.
And lastly for the week, Dylan and I called on everyone's favorite Uncle Pete Tuesday night to come sleep on the couch while the kids were asleep so that we could go to the hospital ... for a UTI. Lame. I say lame because it is a simple fix, but you have to go in to get the fix; it's just not going to go away on its own. And this, the night before my 30wk checkup anyway. So, I was at the hospital twice in two days, adding to Paul's sibling class, that made 3 times in just 5 days. Yuck. But we did learn how quickly we can get there should JuneBug press "alert" in the middle of the night like the others did - silver lining!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you're feeling better! Gosh Paul and Ada are getting sooo big!
    and we Looove the photos of Ada's worm encounter... I feel her pain. I am very respectful of the helpful little guys and love seeing them in my garden...just can't touch, though. :-/

    ReplyDelete