Wednesday, February 3, 2016

19 wks & a little glimpse

The big June Bug news this week is that we got to SEE the lil bug ... on the screen, that is. It was a family affair, and while Ada kept saying "Beebee Dune Buck" on repeat, Paul grinned and waved at the screen. They were both pretty sweet - and very well-behaved - throughout the 2 hour hospital visit! We had the ultrasound, check-up with Dr. Nobles (wherein I asked about his concerns about Zika virus and was met with eye rolls, sighs, and grins), and then a tour of East Jefferson's labor & delivery wing.

Since we're practically halfway, Dylan and I wanted to ask questions today that would help us decide if we were going to stay here with Dr. Nobles at East Jeff or shop around; we'd questioned it only because we chose him for his moral stand without knowing what his delivery process is - whether he delivers his patients' babies or not, what his rules are, etc - and had heard the terrible description of East Jeff as having "separate labor and delivery rooms + sneer". We were a little wary, so we wanted to find out today. We were pleasantly surprised with it all, from Dr. Nobles flexibility to the hospital rooms. I'll quote Dr. Nobles as saying, "You can do it hangin' upside down if you're comfortable, as long as everybody's safe". 'Nuff said. And I'm not interested in revealing how primitive I guess I thought it would be having multiple rooms, but it's all nicely done; there are as many options and amenities as I had with Paul's birth (which was wonderful), and many more than I had with Ada's (which was mainstream-y pushy hospital that I fought). There's one room for delivering and another a few hours later for the 2 night stay. Oooh, I'm fine with that. I'm of the opinion that if a woman wants her birth to feel home-y and cozy without all the medical "things" nearby, she may want to consider a homebirth; I like being in close proximity to said medical things should something go wrong. Plus I like old, seasoned OBs. Moving on.

The ultrasound technician seemed to think we have a laid-back baby on our hands, to which Dylan and I both laughed and said that'd be welcome after our nutso, keeps-us-on-our-toes Adeline. She said she swears personality traits start to show even in the womb, and our little bug was pretty chill. As soon as I laid back, there was constant swimming but no big kicks worthy of a feel, and once s/he found a sweet spot to nuzzle in, s/he just stayed there! The technician even held the wand for nearly 2 minutes waiting to see if we could see and feel a kick simultaneously, and there was nothing, save a fist to mouth, a moving mouth, and that little flickering 4-chambered spot. Pretty funny to contemplate, really. So, without further ado, allow me to introduce our beloved Baby June Bug:
Les penseurs
The last 7 days since posting have seen a bit of action:
  • There was Australia Day, for which the kids dressed, and we had a special Aussie meat pie.


  • There was 2 & 4 year old doctor visit day, which we celebrated with vaccinations (boo) and a Wendy's lunch (yay), complete with frosty. Dr. Emily is a neighbor mom-friend with 2 boys of her own near Paul's and Ada's age, and I adore her. 
  • Next up was following the chronicles of Baby Drew, Ada's junior by just 8 weeks and a family friend's son from Austin, MN. You can follow and/or support their so-far-uphill journey of battling Drew's cancer if you'd like. Here are our little ones sending prayers to Baby Doo:

Ada's holding her Our Lady of Lourdes doll & Paul the prayer that comes with it.

  • We said goodbye to a neighborhood family, too, whose parting gift to Ada was this little Olaf doll, which she immediately adored:

  • We rejoined Flubber Friday at the Mini-Art Center after a 2 month hiatus given our hectic travel and return schedules
  • Then a weekend of nothing at home. For real, we actually had nothing but Mass planned for a whole weekend. This hadn't happened since the weekend before Ginny & Ryan's wedding, not even joking. So it was bliss, though we did have to opt out of a few Mardi Gras things. That will change this coming weekend...
  • After Sunday Mass, we spent a lovely 70º morning at a fabulous playground; leaving saw tears from both children, of course. But remember: that means fun was had by all! And we realized that Ada's speech has just skyrocketed in what seems to be just a week. She just - bam - started pronouncing full words properly: "Nüsse" instead of "Nü Nü" for nuts and "Baden" not "Bap" for bath, among many others.
  • Monday had our Little School Group's lesson on, of course, Mardi Gras! 
  • And that brings us to yesterday, Tuesday. I dropped Ada off at Stacy's with Minty around 9am before taking Paul out to Kenner to the dermatologist for a biopsy on the red mole on his cheek. We'd had a dermascope (super, close-up picture) last summer and received a recommendation for a biopsy to see if the activity shown was pre-malignant or not. Well, the doctor was wonderful with him - even said "We love you here, you know" upon leaving - and I wonder if it could have been any easier; but I'll have to describe the whole thing as a little traumatic. Paul got (another) Wendy's treat lunch, some Thomas & Friends band-aids and about 10 purple suckers out of it, but he also has 2 stitches that we have to keep clean and covered for 2 weeks before we go back to get them out; and there were lots of tears and some screaming. He was not happy, I didn't enjoy it, and I pray that everything comes back clear so that the whole thing can just be a story we tell him when he's older. And, yes, I realize that this is much less severe than the Beckers' cancer-fighting story, but no one wants to see their young child scared and in pain.
Long one! Lots to report, I guess, but I got writing in the kitchen while cooking. Some people say there's no such thing as true multi-tasking, but nothing gets me focused more on doing things quickly than trying to do 2 at once.
Snuck a morning shot reading Mr. Men

No comments:

Post a Comment